Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sequels to Look Forward to in 2012

Clash of the Titans 2
Most of those who’ve seen the original Clash of the Titans can agree that the first remake was highly unfaithful. That aside, it also created a huge buzz with converting a movie shot in 2D to 3D in post-production. I can predict where the cries of “blasphemy” shall erupt with this sequel. For starters, mostly everyone can agree that this should either be shot in 2D or 3D; it should stick with one or the other. The most important point is that the original Clash of the Titans spanned only one film. It’s completely unknown how this new project will expand upon the lore of Perseus…or if it will follow a new hero entirely.

G.I. Joe 2
The first G.I. Joe movie was…unremarkable. Very forgettable. For that reason, I don’t remember much about it, which doesn’t go over well for a sequel. When I hear of sequel plans, I want the events of the first movie to rush back to me. For G.I. Joe 2, they don’t at all. For me, this might as well be the first movie in the series.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Nicolas Cage. Ghost Rider sequel. Expect what you will. The end.

Underworld: Awakening
The first three movies in the Underworld series have typically met with mixed reviews from the professionals. From my perspective, they aren’t half bad – with the exception of the sequel. I’d really like to see where the story goes after the end of Evolution. Well, based on the trailer, I do have somewhat of an idea what the plot will entail, but what I’m really looking forward to is how well this fourth movie will be able to provide closure to the series (which the series does need). If there are any plans for a fifth Underworld that I’m not aware about, I hope that they are scrapped in the near future. The series is solid, but it doesn’t need to make the mistake of overstaying its welcome.

Men in Black 3
Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones intend to reprise their roles in the third film in the Men in Black series, to be released an incredible ten years after the last, and will be joined onscreen by Josh Brolin, who, given his most recent roles in the Coen Brothers’ movies, seems like a great fit. The big question is how well this belated sequel will hold up to the first two movies, both whose quality is questionable.

Ice Age: Continental Drift
Why they still market these movie as “Ice Age” is far beyond my comprehension. The first movie was enjoyable, and the second looked like a good end to the series, with “the meltdown” spelling out doom for the ice age. But, in the interest of monetizing a popular franchise, it couldn’t stop there. I don’t know how to differentiate between the many ice ages of earth’s history, but I do know that the one we most commonly refer to occurred after dinosaurs became extinct, rendering Ice Age 3 a very questionable premise. And now, continental drift. Creatures that shouldn’t be able to survive in this warmer climate are to trudge on through another film…in 3D.

The Bourne Legacy
Like you, I was excited to know that another Bourne movie was in production. I was also highly upset upon the realization that, although this movie is the “Borne” legacy, it doesn’t feature Bourne. At all. Nope, Matt Damon won’t be the leading man in this fourth installment. He’ll be replaced by Jeremy Renner who I’m sure can handle the action-intensive world of Jason Bourne, but whether he’ll be able to get away with replacing the icon of the series is another matter entirely.

Resident Evil: Retribution
These movies aren’t getting any better. It’s amazing that they’ve made it this far because, to my knowledge, they aren’t the best performers at the box-office. Nonetheless, enough funding was secured to make another mundane movie with boring characters, boring actors, boring effects, and boring…everything else. Maybe I’m being a little too harsh on the series; maybe 2012 is the year where everything that was bad about the previous movies will finally be improved upon. But the chances of that are unlikely. Out of the many reasons I have for declaring such, I’ll entreat you with one: it’s a prequel. A prequel that still supposedly stars Milla Jovovich. While I wouldn’t like to see the movie, I would like to see how it compares to Underworld: Awakening.

Prometheus (Alien Prequel)
It’s been a long time since a real Alien sequel has seen the light of day. Naturally, the horrid crossover series between the Alien and Predator can’t be counted, and whether or not this can be counted is still under debate. While meant as a prequel to the Alien trilogy, it’s unknown how many connections this will have to the original three. After all, it is called Prometheus, and I’m unsure how the fire thief can be made to bear any relevance to an intergalactic species of murderous aliens.


Of course, between now and the start of next year (and during its course), there will likely be several more sequel announcements, kept obscure by the marketing giants. But for now, this is what we have to look forward to, and it is indeed a bleak future.